Friday, March 6, 2009

Where did the sun go?

Yesterday was so sunny and bright and warm and today is so gray and gloomy. Even though the thermometer says 64 degrees, it sure feels a lot cooler. If I didn't know better, I'd say the clouds look like snow. No chance of that right now. It would be rain and I'm not complaining as we really need it after the past couple of years of drought.


Since it's so gray, I decided to dig back in the archives and pull out a quilt top that brings the sunshine back into the room. It's one of the UFO's that I really want to get finished this year. In this photo, it's on it's side, but it really doesn't matter as the blocks don't have any real top side.





The blocks are six inches finished. The pattern is called "Confetti" and I can't remember the names of the designers right off the top of my head. I'll find it and post it before I get the quilt finished. It was being taught as a class at a quilt shop in Cocoa, FL several years ago. I was there visiting my DH's brother and his wife. Cindy and I went to the quilt shop one afternoon and I just fell in love with this quilt. I wasn't going to be there for the class so I bought the book and the fabrics and made it after I came home. It's such a fun technique. Another designer has a couple of books out on a similar technique, "Stack the Deck". This is the final size in the book. It was bound with a narrow red binding. But, I keep thinking that it need a border so it would be larger for an older grandchild. Still haven't decided on that. I could match the colors in it pretty well as most of the fabrics are Moda Marble Botanicals. Have to think some more on that.
On a non-quilty note, DH and I went for a short ride today to explore the area around where we now live. We had heard that a winery had opened in our county about the same time we moved here. We found it and it's a beautiful place. Check it out www.delmonacowinery.com Of course we had to visit the tasting room and a few bottles came home with us. I wish that they had a good photo on their web site of their floors inside. They look like some type of inlaid stone that has a giant grapevine winding through the rooms. It's stained and highly polished concrete that has shallow groves in it to create the shapes of the vines and leaves. It is stunning. It's only about 10 minutes from our house so I can see that we will be visiting there again.
Since we've been home, Howard has been cooking dinner. He's made a large pot of chicken and dumplings. Yummmy. They are so good. I didn't realize when I married him almost 8 years ago that I was giving up my kitchen. But, he enjoys it so much that I don't mind at all. After all, I've been cooking since I was about 11 years old and I'm well into my senior years now. Grandma
I think it's time to go to my attic and visit with my fabric and sewing machine. Maybe I'll even do a little sewing while I'm there.
Hugs, Barb Mcf

No comments: