Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cars. tires and computers

I've spent most of the day on the computer getting my directions for the Attic Windows project written up and ready for the retreat next week. That's what I made the two attic window wallhangings for. Twice a year I get together with my sister-in-law and a group of her friends. I'm the "designated" teacher. I have to make it interesting for the very beginning quilter and also the advanced quilter. It's a lot of work, but I love it. I've often thought that if I could do it over again, I'd be a Home Economics teacher instead of a R.N. But probably not.



I did get some sewing done last night. This block is called "Next Door Neighbor". I made it for a swap coming up in April on Block Central. The colors are really brighter than they show up here. They are the Aunt Gracie's 30's prints with a white on white background. I like how easy the block was to make. I did modify the construction a little so I was using the connecting corners instead of cutting all of those triangles. The more I look at it, the more I think that I would like to make an entire quilt using that block set without any sashings so the corner triangles would make a secondary pattern. And, what if I used batiks in the many watery blue colors. Hummm, lots to think about.

Back to the title, had to get new tires on my car today. I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander and it has odd size tires, 19 inches and only two companies make that size tire, Toyo and Bridgestone. That means that there aren't any big bargains out there on them. Oh well, I'm just glad that Howard decided to take my car in to have the tires rotated and aligned yesterday. Turns out that the rear alignment was way out. Guess it was one of those potholes on I-40. The rear tires had worn so badly in places that the wire was exposed. And it hasn't been that long since the tires were rotated and checked. Now I have new tires to ride on on my way to Atlanta and then on to Alabama next week. The condition those tires were in, I probably wouldn't have made it.

I think I'm going to go now and make a large cup of hot cocoa. Even though it was a good 20 degrees warmer today than yesterday, now that the sun has gone down, it's chilly and a cup of hot cocoa sounds good.

No comments: