Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Day Off

I took today off from sewing. Today was grocery shopping and other errands and we managed to use up the entire day.


After breakfast, Howard went through the house and emptied all of the wastebaskets and trash cans. Then he and the two dogs went for a ride to the Convenience Center, aka The Dump. We do live in a subdivision but it is out in the county so we don't have city trash pickup. So, we can either make the five minute drive to The Dump, or contract with a private firm for trash pickup. Most of the people in the neighborhood take their own trash to The Dump. It's a lot less expensive and you aren't limited to one day a week.


After that, we went to visit with my brother and his wife for an hour or so. They live just over an hour away and he is recovering from a total knee replacement five weeks ago today. He's doing great with his therapy and walking really well. We took them a box of sausage patties that we have fallen in love with. It's made here in our town and is the closest I've ever found to the sausage that my grandmother used to make.


Next stop was a quilt shop in Lebanon. I signed up for a class to make a purse that has interchangable covers for it. I think my sister-in-law is going to take the class too. I saw the purse and it's a very clever idea. I've got my supply list and instructions for all of the pre-class cutting that needs to be done.


Finally we got around to the grocery shopping. Our favorite supermarket is Publix, a chain out of Florida that has recently started opening markets in Tennessee. The closest one to us is close to my brother, an hour away. We go there about every 3 weeks. Love their multi-grain bread from their bakery and the Savory Tarragon Chicken Salad from the deli. We always pick those two items up, even if we don't get anything else. Just needed the basics today but did get the bread and chicken salad. As soon as we got home, we both had a chicken salad sandwich. Yummmy. Have enough left for a sandwich tomorrow too.


Tomorrow, I'm going to get back to my sewing. May even unpack another box or two. Since we moved the middle of November, I had hoped to have everything unpacked and sorted out by now. Hasn't happened and I'm getting very frustrated. I know that we were gone more than we were home for the first six weeks because of holidays and an unexpected death in the family and then we were both quite ill with an upper respiratory bug for a couple of weeks. I need to be working on my project for the retreat so I'm going to concentrate on that and not worry about the boxes. They aren't going anywhere. Just going to sit there and wait.

These are the Happy Blocks I made for the March swap on Block Central. I think they came out well. I've been making an extra one to keep for myself each month and I think that I may be getting close to having enough to make a lap quilt for myself to use while watching tv. It will be interesting as each month is a different color and theme. But, these blocks are so addicting. They're just like potato chips, can't make just one.

No comments: