Monday, February 23, 2009

Attic Window burnout



I have spent most of the past two days in my sewing room working on two Attic Window wallhangings. Neither of them have borders yet.




This one was made using the basic directions from Cheryl Phillips "What's Hiding In the Attic Window?" Instead of using the triangles and fussy cutting the window fabric, I cut large squares and then cut them on the diagonal once. I did this mainly because I was using scraps and if I had fussy cut, I wouldn't have had enough fabric for the windows and I was making a "test" wallhanging to check out the pattern. As a result, many of the aircraft are flying in weird angles. The blocks are a finished 4 inches so it is 16 1/2 inches in the photo. I'm still trying to decide about borders. The windows are 3-D in that they have a pocket on two sides. It certainly is an easy way to make an attic window block but the center seam is pretty bulky and really needs to be pressed open, as directed in the pattern.


This one is made using Mary Ellen Hopkins "connecting corners" on the dark strip so that when the light strip is sewn on, it imitates the look of a set in seam. This method does take a little more work, but uses less fabric and is much easier to get the images in the windows turned the direction you want it to be. This one is 40 inches square, without borders. I did add a black on back sashing between the blocks. I was hoping to get the impression of looking from the inside of the window to the outside in the garden. I'm not an art quilter so this is about as "arty" as I get. The blocks here are a finished 6 inches and the dark green in the blocks is much darker that it photographed. By the time I get the borders on it, it will be large enough to use as a tablecloth on my small breakfast table so it probably won't see a wall except for being displayed at the retreat.

These two may be the last of my adventures with attic window blocks. I can only think of one exception, becoming a great-grandmother, and I hope that's a long way off. In that case, I might do one in the I Spy quilt style with pairs of images scattered over the quilt top. But, like I said, I do hope that is a long way off.

We woke up to snow yesterday morning. Only an inch and it was gone by mid afternoon. It was pretty while it lasted. I know that in some areas, it is being measured in the feet and they are ready for spring. So am I. I don't like temperatures in the teens. Spring isn't too far off. I'm watching for the first daffodill.

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for praying for my mother! She is scheduled for more tests in the morning. She is home now and has slept most of the day. It does mean a lot to know that so many people are praying.

I just love your attic windows! That is a pattern that I have not tried yet. It looks hard! Love how they are turning out.

I will visit your blog again soon!
Thanks so much
Kristie